Allan Glen's Tutors
Allan Glen's Tutors is a partnership with University of Strathclyde Engineering Department, established in 2019, to provide funding to allow Strathclyde Engineering students to deliver a Tutoring and Mentoring Initiative.
How it works
Strathclyde Undergraduates, with a track record of excelling in Maths and Physical Science subjects at school and university, engage with Glasgow schools and school pupils to provide 1-2-1 tuition and mentoring for pupils at National 5 or Higher, in Maths, Physics and Computing Science
The objectives are:
- to increase the number of SIMD (Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation) 0-20 applicants and entrants to Engineering and other STEM based Higher Education subjects
- to improve the foundational capacity of SIMD 0-20 students in Maths and Physics prior to University study
- by Buddy Mentoring enhance the confidence of young people to believe they can attend University
- to strengthen confidence leading to successful integration into university life
- to address the shortfall of SIMD 0-20 students in the Faculty of Engineering
- to enhance the rounded education and social awareness of the Undergraduates taking part
Since inception the Allan Glen's Tutor scheme has funded and provided around 20 Tutors a year in 2019 and 2021, and 15 in 2022 and 2023. There would have been more but Covid got in the way We have supported 60 Pupil Scholars aiming to gain access to Engineering, Physics, Mathematics and Computing at UoS, some of which have now gained access to Engineering at UoS. We are delighted that one Allan Glen's Tutored Pupil is now also a recipient of Allan Glen's Scholars Funding at Strathclyde University.
The Allan Glen's Tutors and Strathclyde Engineering Scholars, along with our AGS Scholars continue to go some way to our Founders ambitions and aspirations and help enhance and cement our Education Legacy in parallel with our excellent established AGS Sporting Legacy.